Thursday 9 July 2009

HAMMY UPDATE 09th JULY 2009

Afternoon everyone. As you will see from the photos from today, our Hamster is not in the best of health. Each morning, I wake up and the first thing I do is to go and check her. For the past 8 days now, this is what I am confronted with.

There is her blood in her little house. I remove her and clean both her up, and clean the cage and her house and bedding. After an hour or so, holding her and stroking her, I put her back in her cage and she has a drink. Often, she drinks a hell of a lot. I remove the top of her cage, and she comes to me and runs around the place for a while. When she becomes tired, I place her back in the cage, still with the top off, and she will go into her house and sleep some more. I dont leave her for more than an hour, I keep checking on her. once again, more blood and the cleaning process begins again.

Now some of you are going to ask, why dont we take her to the vet ? Well, we have, and she is on Antibiotics. Despite the loss of blood, she is still a very active little thing, and the Vet is amazed at her. She told us, that normally, when hamsters get this problem, they give up the ghost. She is doing very well considering. There is nothing we can do, except keep her clean and comfortable, she is a very well cared for Hamster. However, if she keeps falling about, or stops eating and drinking, we are to take her back. It is that, that has us concerned, I know deep down, what will happen, and I will not let her suffer in pain. Having said that, I will do everything that I can, to prolong her life in this world. We will be devistated and heartbroken, when that day comes. She has been blessed with 2.5 years of life so far, I hope it will be a lot longer.

Thanks to you all, and I will keep you uptodate as time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment